There is nothing heartier than a bowl of soup. This one you can either have it warm or cold. Experimenting with different spices and ingredients has become the signature of my cooking. My hubby describes as "an explosion of flavors". This recipe is light and delicious.
|Potatoes and Broccoli soup|
- 4 golden potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cups of coarsely chopped broccoli ( I use everything)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dry rosemary
- 1 tsp dry parsley
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/3 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- 1/3 cup 6 Italian cheeses (a little extra for serving)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes until they are tender.
- Meanwhile in a large heavy pan, saute the onion until it is translucent. Mix in the garlic and all the spices and cook until fragrant, don't forget to stir all the ingredients together.
- With a slotted spoon bring the potatoes into the pan and kind of roast them in the spices, garlic and onion mixture. You want them to absorb the wonderful flavors. Add the butter.
- Boil the broccoli in the potatoes' water for about three minutes. Then bring it to the pan and cook it with the potatoes and spices for a couple of minutes. Reserve the potatoes/broccoli water.
- Once the water has cool off a bit, place the potatoes and broccoli mixture in the blender, pour the water and blend. You might need to do this in batches. I did.
- In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, pour the pure mixture, stir in the butter, cream and cheeses, cook for about five minutes or until all the cheeses are melted.
- Top each individual serving with the additional italian cheeses.
Let me know what you think, I hope you enjoy it like we did.