Sunday, April 13, 2014

Broccoli and Cheese Casserole

This is such a hearty dish that I suggest, if you have children and they don't want to eat their veggies, make this dish for them and I guarantee they will scrape their plate clean.  This is a recipe I took from one of my vegetarian cookbooks and change it a little bit to my taste.  This is a family favorite at my home.

Photo by Laura
Ingredients:

  • Four boxes of frozen broccoli florets, 10 oz each, coarsely chopped and thawed
  • 1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 cups fat free milk
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 cup Kraft extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1 cup Kraft Italian five cheeses, shredded
  • 2 tablespoons of roasted pimientos, diced
  • Kosher sea salt and pepper to taste
  • Canola cooking spray
  • Panko 

Photo by Laura
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven 400 degrees.
  2. Spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, level with a knife.  Place flour and  dry mustard in a large sauce pan over medium heat.  Gradually add milk, broth and whisk until blended.  Cook until thick, about 8 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat, add cheeses and Dijon mustard, stir until cheeses are melted.  Add roasted pimiento peppers and broccoli tossing to coat.  
  3. Coat a baking dish with the canola cooking spray and spoon in the broccoli and cheese mixture.
  4. Mix together the Panko and Cheeses and sprinkle evenly over the mixture.  Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the mixture.
  5. Bake until bubbly about 20 minutes, depending on your oven.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving. 
Photo by Laura
All I can say is YUM!  My friends were really impressed with this delicious dish.  Please do make this at home.  Share your thoughts.  

Buon Appetito! 









3 comments:

Aura Palom said...

I could not get enough of this dish! It's warmth, it's crunch, it's mouth-watering taste was overwhelming to my taste buds! If I could, I would eat this every single day, it is just so delicious, especially since it was made by my mom. Thank you mami, you are the absolute best!

Niki Palomino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Niki Palomino said...

Thank you my love. It is for you and because of you. I love you!

Mami