Pesto is easy to make, once you learn, you will NEVER buy pre-made pesto again. The good thing about making pesto is that any herb -cilantro, parsley, etc.- will do and you can serve it over your favorite pasta, stuff chicken with it, soups and even as a spread. It is simply delicious.
|Whole Wheat Penne Pesto|
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-4 garlic gloves (this is up to your preference)
- 3 cups of fresh basil, stems removed
- 1 cup of Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toast the pine nuts, this step is optional, but the difference in flavor is amazing
- Put basil in a food processor or blender with the pine nuts, 1/2 a cup of cheese and garlic. Process until well chopped. (To be more traditional you could use a pestle and mortar).
- Gradually add the oil until smooth. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Put on a bowl or over your favorite pasta.
See, very easy and very delicious. Please do try this recipe and let me know what you think of it.