Saturday, May 3, 2014

Slow-Cooked Curried Brown Rice Green Lentil Soup





During the week we are eating light without sacrificing flavor.  I refuse to eat tasteless meals just because I need to lose weight.

Among my kitchen prized possessions I have a crock pot.  It can also be called a slow cooker.  If you do not have one, I recommend you to buy one.  For us working women is very convenient, we put everything in it before we go to work and come  home to a meal ready to be served.  In any event, I purchased mine in 1995 so they last, because I use mine frequently.


A few nights ago we were in the mood for something hearty.  This time I went to India for that.  This is a delicious recipe, low in calories and very satisfying.


Ingredients:

  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 green onion, chopped
  • 4 cups of vegetable broth 
  • 4 cups of water
  • 12 oz pack of Green Lentils
  • 1 1/2 cups of brown rice
  • Curry powder (I make mine at home)
Ingredients for the Curry Powder:
  • 3 pods Cardamom
  • 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
  • 1 tbsp Ground Cumin
  • 1 tbsp Ground Coriander
  • 1 tbsp Turmeric
  • 1 tbsp Garam Masala
  • 1 tsp Chili Powder
  • 1 tsp Ground Mustard
  • 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
  • 1 Bay leave


Roast Fennel and cardamom until fragrant. Ground them and mix with the other spices to obtain the Curry Powder.

Directions:

  1. Place lentil, brown rice, onion, vegetable broth, water, bay leave, spices into the crock pot, stir and cook on low for about eight hours. 
  2. Toss the Bay leave before serving*.                                                         

When you come home the aroma of this delicious soup will make you smile and you will know that dinner is ready.  Please make this soup, you will not regret it.  

*I don't remember how this came to me but always, before I am going to toss the bay leave, I close my eyes, suck on it and I ask for a wish.  It is supposed to be for good luck.  

Please let me know your thoughts. 

Buon Appetitto!

  

No comments: