Saturday, August 3, 2013

Spanakopitas

Spanakopita is a Greek spinach pastry.   Greek food is definitely in the "comfort food" category, at least for me. 

The way I prepared this dish is very easy and the best part low in calories.  I am trying to cut down but I refuse to sacrifice the food.  I substituted the phyllo dough for wonton wrappers. They came out beautiful and delicious.  I served them as tapas.
Spanakopitas



Ingredients:
  • 12 Wonton wraps
  • 5 oz chopped spinach -
  • 1/3 cup of reduced fat Feta cheese
  • 2 shallots- thinly chopped-
  • 1 garlic clove- minced-
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 Tsp Olive Oil - I always use extra virgin-
  • Cooking spray- I used canola-
Directions:
Spanakopitas ready for the oven
  1. Preheat oven to 380 degrees
  2. I bought a chopped spinach package at the supper market because this reduces the cooking time a great deal.  Please follow your package instructions.
  3. Heat olive oil over medium heat, add shallots and garlic and saute. Once it becomes fragrant, add the spinach, the cayenne pepper and saute some more. 
  4. Place spinach mixture in a bowl and add the feta cheese, mix well.  
  5. Spray with cooking spray a cookie tray and lay out the 12 wonton wraps. 
  6. Using a dessert spoon, place the spinach and pita mixture in the center of the wonton wrap. Wet the edges with warm water and fold over pressing down to close.  When finish assembling the 12 spanakopitas, spray lightly with the cooking spray.
  7. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until crispy. 
I hope you enjoy this delicious treat! Please share your thoughts.

Buon Appetito!

2 comments:

Veronica Cervera said...

Se ve de lo más ricas. Muy buena idea.
Yo me quedé esperando la receta de Vera, jajaja.
Espero estés mejor.
Besitos,
Vero

Niki Palomino said...

Si que quedaron ricas. Besos, my fellow cook :) Los extraño :)